Professor Prof. Dato’ Dr. Sinn-Chye HoVice Chancellor and Chief Executive Officer
Wawasan Open University, Malaysia
Prof Dato' Dr Ho Sinn-Chye has been serving Wawasan Open University (WOU) in various academic and administrative capacities since its beginning in 2007 and from October 2012 as the university’s third Vice Chancellor and CEO.
An aquatic ecologist by training, Prof Ho Sinn Chye received his BSc (Hons) in 1970 and MSc in 1973 from the University of Malaya in Kuala Lumpur. He joined Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM) as a lecturer in 1973. He obtained his doctorate degree in 1979 from the Christian-Albretchs University in Kiel, Germany. His PhD research was conducted entirely at the Max-Planck Institute for Limnology in Ploen.
Prof Ho served as a faculty member of USM in Penang for 28 years (1973-2001). In 1997, he was seconded from USM to the Malaysian Wetlands Foundation in Kuala Lumpur as Director of Environmental Education and Research. In 2000, he was seconded to the Ministry of Science, Technology and Environment (MOSTE) to set up the National Oceanography Directorate (NOD) in the Ministry. As founding Director of NOD (2000-2006) his duty was to coordinate marine science research in Malaysia and overseas. He scoped the national marine science research agenda and allocated government research grants to participating local universities.
Well-travelled and global in his outlook, Prof Ho has more than 40 years of experience in university teaching, administration, research and consultancy. His foray into distance education began in the early 1980s in USM where he became actively involved in all the developmental stages of USM’s off-campus programme, from conceptual planning, to academic programme development and course module writing.
His dedication to the delivery of quality higher education to open distance learning students continues even until today in WOU. A strong advocate of open educational resources (OER) and proponent of the use of open-source multimedia applications for teaching purposes, he gives talks regularly, produces online learning materials and conducts screen-casting workshops for the benefit of staff and students of WOU.
Prof Ho was the Secretary-General and immediate past President (2011-2013) of the Asian Association of Open Universities (AAOU). He is a member of the Executive Governing Board of the Commonwealth of Learning (COL) for the Commonwealth Executive MBA and MPA Programmes.
9:55 AM [Panel Discussion] Digital Disruption Trends and how Universities Can Effectively Ensure Sustainability
- Gearing up for the evolution of new education delivery models: MOOCs, online degrees, and learning analytics – the commercial opportunities
- Strategic Ed tech investment and strengthening the capabilities of your CIO an ICT department
- Seamlessly marrying new technologies with traditional teaching methods for more effective outcomes
- Change to be the new constant: Leveraging learning analytics to drive the informed changes
12:00 PM [Case Study] Balancing Pedagogy and Technology to Strengthen Higher Education Delivery Models
- Marrying pedagogy and technology to propel learning outcomes
- Spurring interactive and collaborative learning across the campus
- Teaching and learning excellence with the help of pedagogy, space and technology
- Building an innovative, up-to-date and relevant curriculum that spurs innovation